I am part leadership expert, part marketing maven, part business strategist, and a touch of creative soul. My desire is to increase your net worth in corporate so that you stand out, are valued and can break through to the next level.
I am passionate about helping emerging women leaders shine at work. This isn\’t just about developing the women leaders of today, but it is about inspiring them to leave a powerful legacy for the little girls who will be our CEO\’s tomorrow.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND CREDENTIALS
Angela has been recognized as one of \”The 25 Most Influential African Americans in Health Foods Industries\” by Black Health Magazine and was recognized as a 2011 Presidents Award recipient by the US Black Engineers organization. She is a credentialed coach and holds an ACC designation from the International Coaching Federation (ICF) and is a also certified as a CPCC Co-Active Coach.
Angela was just recently inducted as a lifetime Bouchet Society scholar at Yale University for her doctoral achievements.
How long have you been doing what you do and how did you get to be an Executive & Leadership Development Coach?
For as long as I can remember, I have always been highly motivated and believed that I was destined to do great things. Like many women, I was taught that if I worked hard and delivered good results, I would be recognized and rewarded for my efforts. As I climbed up the corporate ladder, I discovered that just working hard and consistently delivering my objectives didn\’t always guarantee recognition or promotions. I started thinking to myself, “What does it take to break through to the next level?”
It wasn’t uncommon for me to walk into a meeting and realize that I was the only woman leader in the room. I found myself competing with my male counterparts to be heard. There were many times that I left meetings feeling frustrated because I believed I had a lot to offer but I didn’t feel like my contributions were truly valued. I began to change my leadership style so that I could \”fit in\” and be more like my peers (most of whom were men). Instead of being collaborative, intuitive, and relational, I resorted to being directive, which made me feel inauthentic. While I was aware of the corporate politics, I was not as organizationally savvy as I needed to be. Building relationships and connecting with others had always been one of my towering strengths; however, I was not intentional about using my strategic alliances to accelerate my climb up the corporate ladder.
I have always wanted be an executive and pave the way for other women. When I was promoted to the director level, my boss hired an executive coach as part of my development. I told her while I was passionate about my new role, I felt like I was not bringing my whole self to work or using my natural gifts. As a woman leader, there were times when I didn’t feel like my voice was heard or that my perspective was valued. I desperately wanted to share my brilliance at work. Unfortunately, as a result of my trying to be like my peers, I felt inauthentic and underleveraged.
Her response was unforgettable and that conversation has been one of the most defining moments in my career. She looked me square in the eye and said, \”Angela, what are you doing? Why are you trying so hard be someone you are not? You were given unique gifts and passions to serve a purpose. You rob the world of your brilliance when you compare yourself to others or when you try to be like someone you were never created to be! You are a jewel in a shallow pool of black and grey stones. You can’t stand out and shine when you trying to be someone else. Trust me, when you lead from a place of authenticity, you will be more satisfied, fulfilled and more confident. It may seem counter intuitive but you will actually increase your value at work. You were hired and promoted for a reason. Your company needs what you have to offer. You have a voice and you matter.” After that conversation, I felt a shift in my leadership. I learned how to align my heart with my smarts, lead from a place of authenticity, discover how to better navigate the corporate environment and build strategic alliances to further my career.
Now, I am passionate about helping other women shine at work and lead from a place of authenticity. I bring 20+ years of experience and a proven track record of developing high performance leaders. I can’t wait to meet you and help you break through to the next level.
Who are your clients exactly?
I work with people just like you in corporate environments as well as other independent professionals who are really good at what they do; however, they have never been taught how to navigate the corporate environment or how to increase their value at work so that they ALWAYS lead authentically and effectively. With that said, I have worked with a variety of industries and professions.
What happens if you haven’t yet worked with people in my field?
I have worked with clients who are at various levels in several different industries. Most likely, I have worked with people in your field, however, if I have not, you are not at a disadvantage. Here is why: people in your field are probably ALL doing the same thing to improve their leadership effectiveness. I’ll bet that this makes it difficult for leaders to stand out and differentiate themselves from their peers. What my current and former clients have found exceedingly helpful is that I bring a fresh perspective to their leadership development and give them resources they have never been exposed to on their own. As a result, they stand out in a sea of leaders and are the ones being recognized, valued and promoted.
How are you different from other “leadership coaches”?
Although we will occasionally touch on things like time management and balance similar to life coaches, you have me as a leadership development expert and consultant. I only work with women (and a few good men) who are highly motivated to take their career to the next level. I do not work with people who are interested solely in a life coach and I am not a Jill-of-all-trades coach. I refer those people to other coaches. What that means for you is that I am very focused on doing anything and everything that works for women leaders in a corporate environment. Because my focus is very narrow, what you get with me is no-nonsense, undiluted expertise on what works for emerging leaders. I combine my book smarts (PhD + MBA), street smarts, and over +20 years of working in corporate environments. I’ve simply become an expert at this stuff and that’s why my clients get great results.
What type of personality do you work best with and what do you expect of me?
The Wonder Loft programs and private coaching were created for people who are highly motivated and dead serious about ending the uncertainty and discomfort from knowing that they want to get to the next level but struggling with how to do it effectively. My private coaching practice was created to help you put skills into practice within months (and in some instances, weeks!). Being a high achieving go-getter myself, I work best with other high achieving go-getters who are ready to get going. They just want to know what steps to take right now to dramatically improve their leadership.
You will be expected to take serious and consistent action. Excuses will only get in the way of the best work you were created to do. So you will learn a different way of thinking and have full support while you achieve your incredibly exciting goal: more value, more impact, and more confidence.
What type of professional is a coaching relationship NOT going to work for?
Please know that I am very selective in who I work with and I cherry-pick my clients, choosing to (gently) turn away people who aren’t suited for my private coaching and won’t get the results for which they would have signed up for. (It wouldn’t be fair to them.)
The type of person I won’t work with (without exception) is the whiner or the chronic skeptic, as well as individuals who consistently make excuses for not getting their assignments done or challenging every aspect of the coaching. If you are one of these people, I gently and respectfully ask that you not call and I hope you understand why. We’ll probably just not work well together and I wouldn’t want you to waste your time or money.
What does The Wonder Loft Private Coaching Programs™ include?
My private coaching programs were uniquely created to help my clients better navigate the corporate environment, lead with more confidence and take their career to the next level.
1. Make leadership development a priority. We review when in the day (and how) you are making time for your leadership development, make room in your schedule, prioritize your daily task lists, schedule in follow up time, put a pause on non-essential “leaks” in your leadership bucket, so you can fully invest yourself delivering great results. We then cluster your activities, so that you make the most of every minute you have. Essentially, we clear the decks for what’s most important.
2. Get a reality check. We examine how you are performing as a leader today. By identifying what’s working and what needs improvement, we can focus on taking action against the most critical skills to develop. We identify your strengths, review previous feedback, and determine what are the gaps in your leadership today.
3. Align your heart and smarts. We work together to identify what your were uniquely created to give to the world. By aligning your leadership with your purpose, you will become more fulfilled and engaged at work. Your leadership purpose will bring authenticity and confidence . You will be able to be more intentional about how you achieve your overall goals professionally and personally. There is nothing more rewarding than aligning your heart, mind, and soul when it comes to your leadership.
4. Create your powerful leadership brand. We will examine exactly how you are positioned in the your corporate environment, what your “compelling leadership story” is, what will motivate prospective employers & supervisors to work with you, what makes your leadership offering unique, who your competitors are, what makes you different from them. We will also spend time with figuring out what you offer specifically in terms of results and benefits to your organization. You will find out how to craft your leadership message and elevator speech that grabs attention, making people seek YOU for opportunities as opposed to you chasing after THEM.
5. Master navigating the corporate environment. We examine how decisions are made in your organization. We identify the people in your organization with whom you need to build strategic alliances, identify how decisions are made, and determine what is the right approach for influencing others. This cannot be a cookie cutter approach as each organization and leader is different. We will take into account your leadership and influencing style, as well as your current level in the organization.
6. Build & nurture strategic alliances. You cannot improve your leadership effectiveness in a vacuum; therefore, we will identify who is and who should be in your inner circle or entourage. We will also determine how you can create raving fans and evangelists within your organization so that you have a group of people advocating for your contributions and value to your company. While it is ok to “toot your own horn”, it is more compelling for others to brag about your leadership impact.
7. Get out there in a BIG way. I will share with you the crucial know-like-and-trust-factor and help you get out there in a big way authentically. You will learn how to effectively use your elevator speech and build a powerful network. We will also examine everything you need to do to get out there to build and NURTURE your network. I want you to stop hiding behind your desk and use networking opportunities to your advantage. Each interaction is an opportunity for you to authentically share your leadership brand and what value you bring to your organization.
8. Create your leadership development road map. We will dig deep and create an extremely customized plan to reach your goals, using your leadership purpose, strengths, desires and brand. This includes “how to” steps in ensuring you are getting the feedback that will accelerate your growth and intentionally nurture your strategic alliances. Once that plan is in place and running smoothly, we will add whatever else you need to increase your impact and value consistently.
9. Measure, Learn & Change. It won’t serve you to put so much effort into building your brand and leading with purpose if you don’t take time to reflect and understand what is working and what is still holding you back. Ask for feedback and apply what you hear. I will show you to ask the right type of questions to uncover your opportunity areas. Honest and actionable feedback is a gift that will help you evolve your leadership as you move up in corporate. This step requires you to make time to take reflect, reexamine, and change so that you continue to deliver exceptional results.
These are the elements of The Wonder Loft Leadership Development Program™ that I’ve created after successfully breaking through to the Vice President level in corporate and working with many other leaders. With over 20+ years of relevant leadership experience and consistently delivering results, I have gathered valuable tips to help emerging women leaders accelerate their careers.
In addition to these 9 elements, we will address whatever “burning platform” you have in our private coaching sessions. Our time together is focused on you what you need at that time. My goal is to add more value to your world than you ever imagined by giving you proven tools that you can immediately use to improve your leadership and life. Translation?
O.k. let’s be clear. Let’s redefine promotion, shall we? The promotion I’m talking about reaches far beyond cash and power.
I’m here to get you promoted.
Promotion means unlocking your leadership potential, getting the right people in your corner, standing out among your peers, and learning how to show others what value YOU bring to the table. Ideally you will learn to lead with more confidence. As a result, you increase your value to your company and get promoted by you and your raving fans (which by the way could result in a promotion or job opportunity).
Does this really work?
Absolutely! The result of our work is an approach to increase your leadership effectiveness that, over time with your dedication, works consistently to increase your value and help you get promoted at work (See Client Testimonials).
What results can I expect?
You can expect to:
Hone in on EXACTLY what you bring to the table and the value to your organization.
Create a compelling leadership story that will make others say, “Wow, she’s exactly what we need, how do we get her in our organization or on our team?”.
Get out there and network effectively (for once).
Work smarter, not harder.
Build relationships and avoid getting handicapped by corporate politics.
Get proven techniques you can apply right away to not have to reinvent the leadership development wheel on your own.
Lead more confidently.
Stand out among your peers.
Dramatically cut down time – so you can focus on what matters.
Learn how to tailor your influencing approach based on your audience.
Can I contact some of your former clients to see what it’s like to work with you?
Yes, I encourage you to! Please look through the site read what my clients have shared about their experience. See which ones you feel drawn to, either because the person has achieved the results you want to achieve, or perhaps because that person is in a similar profession. If you would like to contact them directly just let me know so that I can help you make contact with them. They would be delighted to share what they received from private coaching with me.
How quickly can I expect results?
Obviously, this depends on where you are in your leadership journey and how much you put into the assignments given to you. That said, virtually all clients see results within the first couple of months in the form of new opportunities or improved leadership skills, a more powerful network, more confidence and move from corporate politics to building alliances.
Will I recover the investment I put into this coaching program?
* Yes, a resounding Yes! Many clients are excited to report that they were able to cover their investment often with a new opportunity, raise, or promotion. Some have covered their investment with more time and less stress so they can enjoy the things that really matter to them (e.g. spouse, relationships, children, vacations, etc.) I want you to stop reading for just one moment to ask yourself, “What is a promotion, higher bonus, or a new job worth to me? What value would I place on being more confident or getting promoted at work? Chances are, that amount will more than cover your coaching investment.
* What you’re regularly getting with this program (and my coaching) is what I call a series of PINGs or AHAs! that will move your development faster than you would on your own. Expect to get a lot of these as well as the resources you’ve been looking for and haven’t found in one place until now. That’s what you’re investing in, results, more confidence, more impact, more value, and not just more “information.”
Angela, based on everything I’ve read and heard about you, I know you’re the one I want to learn from. What are my options for getting started with you?
Congratulations on making a decision for success! I’m happy to work with you to achieve your leadership goals…
Click below to learn about the Private Coaching programs.
Choose the client profile that feels right for you and click on the link for that program. Once you have reviewed the information, contact my support team at 1-877-949-9663 (877-Why-Wonder) or email me at email@example.com
I can’t wait to meet and get you started on your path to getting promoted at work.
If I’m not sure I’m ready to get started, how can I sample your work at low cost to see if it’s the right solution for me?
Sign up for free tips on improving your leadership. You can also get a copy of the free CD which gives you a sample of the coaching program. It is a must for anyone who wants to increase her leadership brand value on a consistent basis. Subscribe at the top of this page.
OK, I’m ready to do this for myself, but I have a couple of additional questions. How can I reach you?
If you have a couple of questions, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll be happy to walk you through the different options to see which one will be the very best for you. I can’t wait to see you succeed and I am honored to be the one to help you. Let’s get going!
Before working with Angela, I didn’t have a good understanding of how my management perceived me as an employee or as a manager. After a few sessions with Angela she helped paint the picture of management’s perception of me. As a result I have earned both trust and respect from leadership. I am now included on higher level conversations about the future of our company.
Jamie Vallejo – Manager Research Revenue Cycle, Rush Medical Center
Angela has been a pivotal coach and manager for me. She uses her strengths in creativity to provide unique solutions to challenges. Angela is also a top developer of talent. Angela is good at helping me cut through the noise and focus on the root issues. I feel fortunate to have worked and learned so much from Angela.
Sandra Williams – Brand Director, ConAgra Foods
Angela exemplifies that rare combination of one who is grounded in logic, yet soaring with spirit. She is a warm, caring person who wants the best for her clients and isn’t afraid to call that forth from them! When you are coached by Angela, you will see possibilities that you never knew existed.
Cynthia Pike-Fuentes – Principal Coach
Before working with Angela, I was somewhat aware of the unwritten rules to be successful in the corporate world. Fortunately, after meeting Angela, I was able to navigate the corporate world with these rules and more. The reason her methods worked so well was because she listened, shared real-life experiences, and helped me think through situations versus reacting to the consequences of my actions.
Erika Calhoun – Material Management Expert
Angela has helped me to remain positive, invest in my development, and develop a tangible game plan that I am following to reach my goals.
Roxanne Ryan – Project Director – Corporate Executive Board
With careful planning and challenging introspective work Angela helped me focus on what truly mattered and find a role that aligned my marketing expertise with my desire to do meaningful work for the world. I highly recommend Angela and often refer her to my colleagues who are also at the crossroads. Trust me, you won’t regret the opportunities that come your way through this process!
Kamilah Jones – Vice President of Marketing, Teach For America
Angela demonstrates a commitment, competence, and communication level that’s unparalleled, but essential for helping you reach your goals and dreams.